blog_banner 20

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Hi from Ohio.

Great Geauga Antique Fair

On Saturday, Mark and I went on our bi-annual daytrip to the Great Geauga Antique Fair. Lauren stayed behind with her grandparents. This was the first time that Mark and I have gone somewhere alone together since 2005. Yes, I'm exaggerating. It's more like we haven't gone somewhere together since the last time we went to the antique fair, which was a year ago. *That*, sadly, is not an exaggeration.

Anyway, we found that just a small taste of freedom makes us loopy.



As usual, our drive took us through an Amish community. If I wasn't so respectful, I would have the awesomest photos to share because we always see something beautiful /amazing / crazy as we drive through there. This time, we saw a young (I swear they appeared to be around Lauren's age) Amish boy and girl riding in their own mini sized buggy which was pulled by a pony. It was ridiculously adorable. However, it was also a bit concerning because they were riding along the main road heading out of the community. Hopefully, they were just going to the nearby convenience store for a Slurpee, because they looked way too young to be participating in Rumspringa. Further along the road, we saw a older Amish boy rollerblading.

On our last visit to the fair, we noticed that the number of vendors and the quality of items had declined. Unfortunately, that has continued to be the case. In fact, we noticed several new food vendors who had taken up spots normally reserved for dealers.

Everyone loves London Broil.

But hey, who can resist a good London broil, expecially in the middle of a county fairgrounds?

Vintage swim suit.

Still, there are always interesting things to see. I thought this vintage swim suit was cute, even though it was slightly reminiscent of an air mail envelope.

Apples for the teacher.

We didn't find any of the items that we were specifically searching for, but we did pick up a couple of things. This school desk bench was only $25. The man selling them had several in different colors. We have 5 dormers in our home which are difficult spaces to fill because they are so small. I thought that the bench would fit perfectly in one of the dormers, but I kind of like it in our kitchen. The apple prints build on the schoolhouse theme.

Braided rug.

I used to have a nice collection of old braided rugs, but most were destoyed back when our dog Sammie became incontinent in her old age. Five years or so ago, I would pay no more than $10 for a braided rug, but because pickings are so slim now, I stooped to paying $35. Still, it's very clean and well made, so I think I got my money's worth. Mark also bought a duck decoy, but I'm waiting until he gets some friends before I take his photo.

Back to work tomorrow, but we're off on Tuesday for Lauren's yearly checkup. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: