blog_banner 20

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Christmas is popping up all over.

Trimming the little tree.

I used to make fun of people who started decorating for Christmas in November. That is, until I became one of those people. Then of course, it became the sensible thing to do.

This year, I've had to deviate from my usual procedure in order to puppy proof our decorations from Marcus. I'm debating whether I should risk my snowman tablecloth because I fear he might eat it.

Setting up the nativity.

Lauren was eager to help out. This year, she took particular interest in setting up the nativity.

Magi.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but one of the Magi in my nativity (I think he might represent Balthasar) has some serious attitude. I imagine him saying, "C'mon, Gaspar, give the baby the frankincense already and let's beat it! The meter's running, and it's a looong way back to Persia!"

Okay, maybe not.

Elf on the typewriter.

You may have heard about The Elf on the Shelf. It's a set that includes a storybook and your very own little elf sent straight from Santa to keep an eye on your children. By day, the elf sits quietly observing, waiting for your child to stick one toe out of line so that, by night, he can travel back to the North Pole and snitch to Santa. The next day, he shows up in a another part of your home so he can patrol a new area.

While it sounds like a cute and effective way to get kids to shape up during the holiday season, it comes with an eye popping pricetag of $30. And that doesn't even include room and board for the elf! Our elf, however, cost about $4. I think he must be freelancing or something because he came to us so cheap.

Besides, we already have other well established Christmas traditions. For example, when Lauren was a baby, she loved Popping Santa. To this day, he continues to thrill.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is always a treat- popping Santa.....and that Lauren, how sweet is she?