blog_banner 20

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fashionistas.

Fashion Plates, baby!

A few weeks ago, something popped into my head. A memory that came from the deep recesses of my mind. I don't know quite what triggered it, but once it was there, it became a single minded obsession.

That memory was of the beloved 70's / 80's toy...Fashion Plates.

My first reaction to this was to do what I always do when I think of an obscure person, place or thing. I searched the internet. Through my search, I found that I wasn't the only one who had fond memories of creating my very own fashion design portfolio from crayon rubbings. In fact, Apartment Therapy even wrote an article about them last year. And I believe that my next discovery in the thirst for Fashion Plates knowledge was a direct result of that article.

In case I haven't made myself clear, Fashion Plates were one of my favorite toys. In fact, I even saved my well-cared for original set, as well as the EXPANSION SET, into adulthood. These were stored safely in my parents' basement until 2003 when they moved. It was at that time that my dearly adored Fashion Plates met their demise, or at least the Salvation Army.

So that left me with one option - eBay. It was there that I found that demand was quite high for Fashion Plates. Even though there are approximately 7 or so sets in various states of completion listed at any one time, most of the listings have the word RARE in big fat capital letters in the description (I mean, really people, this is a mass produced toy, not a Rembrandt!) As a result, people bid accordingly.

After watching set after set sell at exorbitant prices, I began to think that this little fixation of mine was a bit silly, until last Sunday, when someone had just listed a nearly complete set at a price that, while so embarrassingly ridiculous that it will not be disclosed here, I was willing to pay.

Crayon rubbing.

When they arrived today, I couldn't wait to share them with Lauren. And I wasn't disappointed, as we've been playing "fashion" for the last couple of hours.

Coloring with textures.

She especially likes to draw elephants on a leash next to the girls. Like they're walking them.


Finishing up the masterpiece.

Of course, she was really digging it when I told her that the expansion set would be arriving on our doorstep in the next few days. I know, I know...

Are you going to play fashion with me?

She totally needs a Spirograph next. I'm on it!

5 comments:

your favorite stranger said...

Haha, I loved those! Got a set on my 7th birthday. I think mine's still in storage somewhere, but I doubt it's anywhere near complete.

Noreen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Noreen said...

Melissa - very cool!! I don't remember them though...
Sorry I haven't posted in awhile - I could never remember my password! Low & behold i got it right today!
Looks like Lauren is doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

I loved fashion plates! Good toy! They do have a modern version, but I've heard it's no where near as good as the original. Fun post!

Jill @ A Mom With A Lesson Plan said...

What a fun memory... good thing I didn't see this before you bought it or I might be bidding against you!