blog_banner 20

Sunday, October 17, 2010

2010 Fall / Halloween Decorating

Edgar Allen Poe inspired Halloween mantel.

The blog has been getting several hits from individuals looking for fall decorating ideas, so it's about time that I put up some!

This year, dining room mantel decor is inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's, "The Raven." Still using the candlesticks as pedestals for the pumpkins and the black framed mirror is ever present, but there are a few new additions.

Close up of the left side of the mantel.

"The House of Usher" is a luminary from Bath and Body Works. I usually don't purchase things like this, but when I was placing my quarterly order, I couldn't resist because it was on sale for super cheap. I can't wait to put a candle inside it!

Nevermore.

Although I keep all the banners that I make, I can't seem to use the same one twice! I really like how this one turned out - whimsical and foreboding all at once.

Candy corn tree.

The idea for the candy corn tree came from Woman's Day. This was a family effort. Lauren helped me hot glue the candy corn to the branches (Girl is a pro with the glue gun!), and Mark spray painted the urn for me (I purchased it from Target several years ago and could never quite find a use for it. Now it has one!).

Fall dining room centerpiece.

Here is our dining room centerpiece. Mark picked out the the fairytale pumpkin (Named, I assume, because it looks like Cinderella's carriage.). He feels that it looks fake because it's almost too perfect. I got the idea for the hurricanes from Pottery Barn. The little skulls came from the good ol'Dollar Tree (9 in a package).


Fall Decorating:  Lanterns, leaves and owls

Next is our side board. I just love my See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil Owls! For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the catalog that they came from. If I do, I will be sure to post the link. Anyway, the three of us went on two collecting expeditions in order to find a nice variety of leaves to display. They are clipped to an antique photo holder, another item that I've had trouble using effectively. The lanterns are from Pottery Barn, as is the idea to put gourds inside of them. I steal from them a lot - who can help it when they send us 20+ catalogs a year? It eventually gets into your subconscious!

Fall front door.

Lastly, here's our minimally decorated front entrance. Mark thought the pumpkin on its side had fell over. So much for being unpredictable with my pumpkin display...

No comments: