blog_banner 20

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Caution: Tourist Photos Ahead.



By most standards, my visit to Boston went as well as one can expect from a business trip. We flew up on Jetblue, which despite its recent problems, was actually quite awesome. Yes, I flew coach in the last row of the plane next to a set of one year old twins, but I had a window seat, my choice of snacks (I opted for the Blue Potato chips - must find these at the store), and 40 plus channels of Direct TV to enjoy.

And as always with traveling on business, we ate like kings. The first night I had lump crab cakes at Legal Seafoods; the second night we ate at Venezia where I had filet, very tasty risotto, and cannoli for dessert. For lunch on the last day, we slummed it and ate burgers at Henry's Root Beer Stand.

I won't bore everyone with the details of the business that was conducted. Most of our time was spent in Quincy, but luckily, we were able to wrap things up early and catch some sights in the city before flying home.

Here are just a few highlights. All of the photos taken on my 2 hour or so visit can be seen here. If you know Boston, I can assure you that no new territory is covered. However, as a holder of a BA in Political Science, I found Boston absolutely thrilling. It must be awesome to go to work everyday surrounded by so much history.

We actually started from the middle of the Freedom Trail at Faneuil Hall and went backwards towards Boston Common. I have to say that I just loved the concept of the Freedom Trail and feel that every city should have one. Although we had no idea where we were going, we never worried about getting lost because we could just follow the red line back to where we came from. It was sure better than leaving a trail of popcorn.





I took this photo of the Old State House while standing on the site of the Boston Massacre. Very awe inspiring, despite the fact that traffic is whizzing around the divider where the site is marked.



Anyone who knows me will understand why I took these photos. My new goal in life is to own a Thomas Pink shirt.



Cool sandwich board stationed in front of the Old South Meeting House.



The co-workers that I was traveling with were probably a little disturbed my display of glee at the burying grounds. I couldn't help it - it was fascinating! I have never smelled something as old as the King's Chapel Burying Grounds. And I must have good taste in tomb stones because I found out after the fact that this one depicting Father Time battling the Grim Reaper is noted as the most beautiful found at King's Chapel:






Our last and my favorite stop was the Granary Burying Ground, where most of the notables of the American Revolution, such as Paul Revere, John Hancock and Samuel Adams are laid to rest. What's especially interesting is that such hallowed ground is surrounded by office buildings. You could literally look out a window and be facing someone's head stone. All I see from my office building is a parking lot.

And that concludes the tour. As for souvenirs, I only brought back these photos for myself. Lauren received the most adorable pink Boston Red Sox cap (which she refuses to wear), while Mark received some Boston Nut Roaster nuts, which he devoured upon my return. Hopefully, all three of us will get to enjoy Boston together some day.

No comments: