blog_banner 20

Monday, August 20, 2007

Cherry squares and cherry soda (Or, why me and Mark were made for each other.).

When I was little, my mom used to make delicious cherry squares. When I grew up, I naturally wanted the recipe, but apparently, my mom lost it. One day several years ago, although I can't recall the exact details, I must have mentioned the cherry squares to my mom-in-law, because lo and behold she had the recipe!

I made a batch yesterday. The batter alone is so tasty that it's almost worth the risk of salmonella poisoning just to lick the bowl.

For the past month, The Pittsburgh History Series have been on a continuous loop on one of the extended WQED channels (For those who don't live in the area, that's our public television station.). One show is titled What Makes Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh. A particular segment features a local bottling company that makes old fashioned bottled soda.

With yesterday being such a rainy day, we were stuck indoors with little television watching options, so we switched on the Rick Sebak channel (He's the producer of the shows.).

And there, once again, was the segment on the bottling company. Mark turned to me and asked, "Where the heck is that place?"

I replied, "I looked up their website, but it seems that you can only buy their stuff on line."

Then he said, "I did too! There's a bunch of stores listed that I've never heard of, but they also sell it at Wholly's in the Strip District."

Well, look what I had waiting for me in the refrigerator when I arrived home today:

Old fashioned sodas.

We haven't tried the root beer yet, but the red pop is really good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the cherry square recipe available somewhere or is it a (both of your) family secret? :)

your favorite stranger said...

yes, dude! cherry squares sound awesome!