blog_banner 20

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Where the wild things are.



Mark and I took the day off yesterday. We had originally planned to take Lauren to see Horton Hears a Who!, but changed our minds at the last minute. I know for certain that Lauren possesses the attention span required to sit through an hour and a half movie, but I don't think she's quite ready for the "movie experience" - sitting in the dark with a bunch of strangers having their senses assaulted by a giant flashing screen and booming stereo sound. Oh, and then there's the fact that Mark and I both despise Jim Carrey.

Anyway, it turned out to be the right decision, because Lauren wasn't in the best of moods yesterday and therefore probably wouldn't have been open to any new experiences. Mark and I are beginning to get the impression that we are so uncool that even a three year old doesn't want to hang with us.

Although the weather was dreary, the mild temperatures were just right for animal watching.

Peacock.

One of my favorite parts of the zoo are the roaming peacocks. It's one of the those things that I remember fondly from when I was a child (Them and the giant tortoise, who I believe passed away several years ago). This guy was grooming himself on a rock while his four girlfriends looked on. He was being a real stinker because he refused to fan out his feathers for me.

I see you!

This is about as close as we got to having a polar bear "experience." The zoo opened a much publicized polar bear exhibit about a year ago where you could walk through tunnels under the exhibit and watch the polar bears swimming. What they don't publicize is that the polar bears only spend 10% of their day in the water. Lame!

More photos can be seen on Flickr

No comments: