blog_banner 20

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Forget the Ides...beware the entire month of March.

I don't know what it is about the month of March, but each year I dread it because it has been consistently the worst month of the year for me. Although I don't put a lot of stock in astrology, I would be willing to bet that my ruling planets are in retrograde or something during this time of the year. The last couple of weeks have been really challenging for me and those close to me. You can tell that April is coming though, because things are beginning to look up!

For instance, my dearest friend Melissa just received a long overdue promotion! Here she is showing off just one of the skills that earned her this recognition:



Oh, and then there's the fact that Jason Castro didn't get voted off of American Idol this week. Celebrate!!

Which means...it's that time again.

***Begin American Idol mutterings***

I cannot begin to write how disappointed, no, angry I was at my TV Boyfriend this week. Simon was almost spot on with his comments. I don't think that the problem is that Jason doesn't want to win, but that he doesn't know how to win. I gave him a pass last week because I felt that he got stuck with Michelle, but I'm pretty confident that he purposefully chose to sing quite possibly the most boring song in the entire Sting catalog. You just can't sing a largely unfamiliar song in the second spot of the show and expect to be successful, hence the visit to the Bottom Three Ville.

Incidentally, I did think Jason's performance was decent, and the vocals on the studio recording are very nice as usual. However, once again, Fragile doesn't grab me in the same way his three Top 24 performances did. Jason catches a lot of flack for not being a strong vocalist / performer, but I don't think he gets enough credit for doing as well as he has against a group that has mostly been performing their entire lives. He's never had a recording contract. He didn't win Star Search. He hasn't been playing clubs for years, honing his Jim Morrison impersonation. He does have appeal beyond his looks, and his inexperience and non-chalance makes me root for him. Unfortunately, I think those same qualities really hurt him this week.

You better man up and bring it next week, TV Boyfriend, or we're breaking up!

David Cook is amazing. Jason would be smart to learn from him. I hope he wins it all.

David A.'s performance this week confirmed for me why, in spite of his "masterclass" vocals, I can't get behind him. Someone call Fonzie stat - he and that song just sucked all the cool out of the room.

And unlike my TV Boyfriend, Michael Johns listened to me! I told you that that piece of advice works wonders for people. Too bad for him that there are no Queen songs in the Dolly Parton catalog.


***End American Idol mutterings***

No comments: