blog_banner 20

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tony & Dolores.

Today, we got word of the passing of a dear friend of our family, Mr. Tony Cervone.

My favorite memory of Tony occurred during my brother-in-law's wedding. Tony and his wife Dolores had traveled all the way from California to attend our wedding the previous year, so this was their second trip to Pittsburgh in a row. After the ceremony, the photographer had us pose for the usual wedding party portraits at the church. It had been a long day, and we were all plenty hungry. During one of the breaks in the action, I sat in the pew behind Tony. Rather than go immediately to the reception, he and Dolores had stayed to take their own snapshots (They too had a passion for taking photos.). I began lamenting that dinner at the reception would come none too soon because I was close to gnawing on one of the hymnals.

Before I knew it, Tony was motioning towards Dolores who was pulling a plastic bag out her purse. Inside the bag was Italian bread, cheese and prosciutto. The two of them were avid travelers and knew how to prepare for a long wait. I tried to politely refuse, as I knew that these were some of the treasures that they had picked up at the local Italian store, foods which couldn't be easily found in California. Of course, he insisted. So we took the bag of goodies with us and enjoyed them on the limo ride to the next shooting location.

Tony was that kind of guy. And this poor starving bridesmaid will never forget it.

Tony & Dolores.

But even more than the prosciutto, I remember how he and Dolores were so much in love.

Here's to you, Tony.

To Dolores: We share in your sorrow. May you find strength and comfort in those who love you.

Much love,

Mark, Melissa and Lauren

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely tribute.

I send my prayers and thoughts to your extend "family".

May God Bless and Keep You.

Melissa Corbelli

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
You made me cry.....thank you so much for the tribute to Tony. I had forgotten about the food at the church story and it was nice to be reminded. We loved being part of your wedding and of Mike and Beth's as well. I will treasure the memories and hopefully someday be able to visit with all of you in Pittsburgh again.