blog_banner 20

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Boston: Home of Dunkin Donuts and hand sanitizer.

Boston Common.

I've been battling a miserable cold for the last couple of days. Considering I was all over germ invested airports last week, I guess it was only a matter of time before I fell ill. Everywhere we visited in Boston, from offices to public places, there was hand sanitizer available. A lot of good it did me!

Last week's trip was my third visit to Boston. This time, I got a chance to see another part of the city, the Back Bay neighborhood. As I said to my boss, a couple of more trips, and I will have seen the whole city!

The Liberty Hotel.

On our first night, we had dinner at a place called Clink, which is inside the Liberty Hotel. The hotel is in the building that housed the Charles Street Jail. Inside, the vestages of the former jail can still be seen, although with a modern flair.

Neon jail cells.

Inside the Liberty Hotel.

Clink.

The food at Clink was fabulous. Seriously one of the best meals I've had in my life, ranking right up there with the time that I partook of a home cooked Hungarian meal prepared by a drag queen. But I digress.

Here is the menu. We had foie gras for an appetizer which came accompanied by the most divine buttered toast I've ever tasted. For the main course, I had the organic chicken, and I can say without reservation that it was the best chicken I've ever tasted. They say that animals that are treated well taste better, well, let me tell you - my chicken must have spent its days eating bon bons and watching TV. It was that good.

Sorry that there are no photos of the food. It was way too dark.

We didn't get back into the city until Wednesday morning, when we had meetings in Boston's tallest building, the Hancock Tower.

Hancock Tower.

Unfortunately, the observation deck has been closed since 9/11, so you'll just have to settle for a view of the giant silver and gold reproduction of the Declaration of Independance that hangs in the lobby.

Inside Hancock Tower.

After our meetings concluded, we decided to take advantage of the gorgeous weather and walk the streets. The area is brimming with luxury stores such as Chanel, Burberry and Hermes. Sadly, I didn't think my boss was much interested in browsing Hermes, but I did see one store that I would never patronize.

Where I will never shop.

Note that it is going out of business. Power to the short people! We shall overcome!

Boston Paper Source.

Why can't we have a cute Paper Source store in Pittsburgh? It taunts me wherever I go!


Next we headed to the glorious Public Garden.

Entrance to the Public Garden.

I was disappointed that the swan boats were done for the year, but there were still other pretty sites to see.

Public Garden.

Suspension bridge.

Me at the gate of the Public Garden.

George Washington.

Next time, I hope to visit Beacon Hill and finally attend a Boston sporting event.

Tomorrow and Saturday we will be busy with various Halloween activities, so there will be more fall photos to come!

No comments: