blog_banner 20

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Meditations on moss and dandelions.

Like most kids, Lauren often complains, "I'm bored!" Lately I've found that my equivalent is "There's nothing to take pictures of!" This is a common struggle that photographers face. Those who teach photography advise that there is always something to take a picture of, you just have to see it. That "it" is the interesting in the ordinary.

It was one of the most bewitching sights in the world to observe a hill of beans thrusting aside the soil, or a rose of early peas just peeping forth sufficiently to trace a line of delicate green.

That is one of the most wonderful things about photography. It can draw your attention to things that you look at everyday, but never really see. I've found that often I'm most satisfied with my photos when I'm not trying. And when I'm not trying, I don't have any preconceived notions or plans. And when I don't have any preconceived notions or plans, I can really see. This is a very short brick wall that runs between our property and that of our neighbors. In the five years that we've lived here, I've never taken notice of it until today, when I was wondering around our yard with my camera taking my new lens out for a test drive. From this perspective, I feel if we look long and hard enough, we may see a fairy skip along this mossy path.


Just dandy.

Who takes 43 photos of a dandelion? Oh. That would be me. Who takes 43 photos of a dandelion while crouching in a patch of poison ivy? That would be me as well.

I think it was worth the risk.

No comments: