blog_banner 20

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Project 52 Assignment 3: A Simple Recipe Shot for a Magazine.

Project 52 Assignment 3:  A Simple Recipe Shot for a Magazine.

For this week's assignment, we had to shoot ingredients for a simple recipe. I really wanted to emulate the style of Martha Stewart's now defunct Everyday Food magazine, so to get ideas I spent some time flipping through my huge library of back issues. In fact, the recipe that I chose was from one of the last issues:

Peanut Ginger Ramen

Puree 1 tablespoon of lime juice, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 3/4 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of ginger with 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter and 1/3 cup of water.

Prepare ramen according to package, but without the seasoning packet. Toss ramen with peanut ginger sauce and serve.

Arranging the ingredients was pretty challenging, and I actually took the time to sketch out the placement of everything before I made the shot, which was very helpful once it was time to set up. I wasn't very happy with the way the lighting turned out, in particular the shadows cast on the right side by the bowls. That could have been rectified with some lighting modifiers, but I'm lazy when it comes to lighting setups. Maybe I'll experiment more next time.

I was surprised when Don was pretty positive in his critique. He said that my photo was "real pretty and modern", and the cropping was "fantastic". While he didn't mention the shadows, he did call out that I lost the details in the sugar. The poor guy couldn't even figure out it was sugar - he kept guessing it was milk!






No comments: