blog_banner 20

Monday, November 26, 2007

Just then, things went from bad to worse.

The evening started like any other. We ate dinner. Lauren watched Scooby Doo. After I finished eating, I decided to check on a few eBay auctions that were ending soon. Suddenly, the lights began to flicker. Then, there was a crash. Mark mumbled something about Lauren knocking over a wine glass. After that, darkness.

Once again the power was out. Mark cleaned up the broken glass as I entertained Lauren. Then, we searched around the house to find the big package of matches that we bought the last time the power went out. Once the candles were lit, we sat down and waited.

The electric company was really on top of things this time around, and our power was restored in about an hour. Shortly thereafter, I decides to return to what I had been doing. I went into the den and hit the power button on the computer.

Nothing happened.

I pressed it again, because, you know, maybe I didn't apply enough pressure the first time.

Still nothing.

I opened the case to see if there was any visible damage, but there was none.

I plugged the power source into another outlet (which I knew was futile, since the lamp plugged into the same outlet was shining brightly.)

Nada.

So, I guess I now have to resign myself to the fact that my computer is dead. I'm not so much sick over the loss of the computer itself, as it's an older Mac. What I am sick about is the loss of data. Over 1000 photos. Mp3s. Scooby Doo episodes.

Lucklily, i've been somewhat prepared for this. Most of my photos have been uploaded to various photo sharing services. However, I hadn't been as viligent recently, so some, like the Christmas card photos that I took yesterday, maybe lost for good.

At least it wasn't the TV.

P.S. I typed this entire post using my Ipod.

No comments: