blog_banner 20

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Something Wicked this way comes.

Wicked.

Last Thursday night, I finally got to see the musical Wicked. I gave Mel C tickets to the show for her birthday back in June, so we decided to make a night of it. After work, we first had dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. I had a turkey reuben (My favorite sandwich - not that I have anything against corn beef, I just love turkey and swiss cheese) and she had pot stickers and a salad. For dessert, we shared a slice of Dutch apple cheesecake.

View of the Benedum lobby.

The Benedum Center was packed, so I assume that the show was sold out. The singing and acting were just wonderful, although we couldn't help but giggle at some of the campy choreography. At many points during the evening, I leaned over to Mel C and whispered, "Mark would absolutely hate this." Mark only likes The King and I.

Benedum Center marquis.

This summer, I had tried to read the novel that the musical is based upon, but I only managed to get half way through before I gave up. It was just a little too strange for my taste. Thankfully, the musical is a very simplified version of the novel with many plot points either changed or completed dropped. I keep telling everyone that the original story is peppered with graphic sex and violence, but I guess it's hard to believe when you see pre-teen girls who are dressed up like Glinda and Elphaba (aka The Wicked Witch of the West) and know the all the songs in the musical off by heart.

Recently, the blog has been getting a lot of hits from folks searching for "fall decorating" so I think we'll do a little of that tomorrow. Gotta give the audience what they want!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whether you see this wonderful play in New York, Los Angeles or anywhere else, you will understand why wicked has been Broadway’s best-selling show for the past two years. Wicked tix in USA can be expensive and difficult to find. I’ve attended it last year, but before booking tickets , I compared them firstly for free at Ticketsreview.com, and then I took the cheapest tickets.
Here are the links:
http://www.ticketsreview.com/theater/wicked_tickets/
So any body will go to see it again??

ellen said...

the book is a struggle -- Gregory Maguire might be the most verbose author I have come across. But definitely one of the more creative ones, too -- have to give him credit for that! :o)

Love your blog and all of your lovely pictures. Thank you for sharing.