blog_banner 20

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Might as well face it you're addicted to scrub.

Etsy Favs: Haunt

Lately I've been battling a case of the "blahs", which is putting a damper on my usual enthusiasm. So I thought I'd write about a little indulgence that never fails to perk me up.

Bath products.

Not just any bath products - homemade bath products. For the most part, my shower routine has been pretty boring, down to my soap of choice (Good ol' Ivory bar soap with aloe). This is in part because I'm cursed with horrible skin. I have psoriasis, which lucky for me has been more nuisance than heartbreak. Nonetheless it's still very itchy and ugly. I also tend to get those unsightly little red spots on my legs and arms. The upside of this is that I dealt with very little acne as a teenager, but I still long for the clear, smooth skin on the rest of me. I've experimented with different body lotions and oils, but because none of them made any noticeable improvement to my skin, for the most part I decided, why bother?

That all changed around the holidays when I discovered two Etsy stores that sell amazing homemade bath products. Haunt infuses both creativity and divine smelling fragrance into her products. I love her sugar scrubs, which are made with the same white sugar that's sitting in your pantry. My favorite is Marzipan and Shortbread, with Turkish Cocoa as a close second. Turkish Cocoa is like showering yourself in Oreo cookies. Who wouldn't want to do that?

Since Mark is fixated on flooring the way I'm fixated on bath products, he pointed out that he should have installed wide plank flooring in the addition because I always use our dining room table (which is made from wide plank wood) to take photos. To demonstrate that I do not discriminate, I took photos of the next batch of bath products on the floor of the addition.

Etsy favs: Cozy Moments

Cozy Moments carries a wide variety of products in many, many wonderful scents. I recommend anything with "Pink Sugar" in the name, Black Raspberry Vanilla, Sweet Witches Brew and Vanilla Bean Noel. I also love Angel Food Cake, which smells very similar to Marzipan and Shortbread. I get it in the Beautiful Body Butter because it's the perfect companion to Haunt's sugar scrub. Cozy Moments also makes shaving soap. As a professed shaving cream user, I was a little skeptical, but it works just as well as shaving cream and doesn't clog my drain with gunk.

Although none of these products have cured any of my skin ailments, they sure have made something as mundane as a shower a lot more fun. I now have a whole drawer full of products to choose from. It's a place where Mark fears to tread because it's just too girly.

ETA - Thanks to both Uncle Craig and Dolores for pointing out my mistake in the last scrapbooking post. I do quite a bit of signing at work, so I've been a little too focused on writing "2009" in every date. I can easily fix the blog post, but I'll have to redo the journaling on the scrapbook pages. :P I wasn't kidding when I said that I needed a proof-reader!!

No comments: