blog_banner 20

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Back among the living (sort of).

Afternoon nap.

All three of us have be sick to a certain degree during the last week. Mark contracted the plague first, complete with stuffed up nose and sore throat. Lauren was next - congestion, lethargy with a dash of nighttime coughing. I was last, so of course I got it the worst. I honestly can't remember the last time that I was this sick. We're all still in various stages of recovery, so there's nothing going on besides a whole lot of lying around.

Now is also a good time to remind everyone that crappy things always happen to me during the month of March.

And even though this is old news, it's not yet too late to weigh in on last week's AI, is it?

***Begin American Idol blabbering***

Considering how wretched the semi-finals were, I would have never imagined that the Top 13 show would be so good. And on Michael Jackson night too! But it really was good, wasn't it? Again, there wasn't any "moments", but I thought everyone was pretty consistent.

I thought Danny's "PYT" was really, really good. I like him doing a uptempo song. And I loved that he sang the part about "tenderoni." You know, I never knew that tenderoni was a real word (Well, as real as a slang word is). I always thought that I was mishearing something and would immediately think of "beef-a-roni" (yum!). Of course, I looked it up, and now I'm down with it.

(But! For some reason, I still don't like Gokey. Sorry! runs and hides

I also liked Kris Allen's performance of "Remember the Time," even though I tend not to remember him. I thought it was so catchy that I downloaded it from iTunes.

Adam's "Black and White" was my favorite of the night. Mark liked the part in the middle of the song where the strobe lights went crazy and then Adam went "all Satan" on us. I loved the part when he sang about "kicking dirt in my eye" and kicked his foot in the air. He's just a blast to watch. However, I think part of his problem is that every move, every smile, every bat of an eye lash is so calculated that eventually people are going to get turned off (If they're not already turned off by his screamy style of singing). Honestly, I think I should have dubbed him "The Anti-Castro" instead of Von, because there wasn't a calculated thing about Jason (And that was part of his problem). I also downloaded this one from iTunes and the vocal is extremely good - very scaled back from the live performance. Adam can definitely dial it down if he wants to.

As for the girls (Wait - there are girls on the show?!), I kinda like them all. I even like Megan. She's goofy alright, but she does have that catch in her voice that perks up my ears.

As for the disappointments for the night - poor, poor Anoop. What was he thinking? I think every one in America knows you don't sing "Beat It." Did he not get the memo? Still, Anoop is my sentimental favorite. I always love the charming ones with marginal vocal ability who make poor song choices half the time. I can't help but root for them.

And Jorge - poor, poor Jorge! The show was really done with him, and they really let him know it. 'Cause dog, THAT was not a bad vocal at all. Unfortunately, the rank and file voters fell in line, and it was adios Jorge.

Some quick predictions for Grand ol' Opry week. Show starts in ten, so I better type fast!

A guy will go this week. They are guy heavy and don't want to lose another girl, especially since this week determines the tour line-up. Candidates are Anoop, Scott or potentially Michael.

Pay close attention to who goes last. This will be someone who's on the bubble in terms of popularity and needs a little boost to secure a spot on the tour (I predict it will be a girl - Allison or Megan).

Adam will sing a ballad.

That's it! Hopefully I will be well enough later this week to give more timely comments on this tonight's show!

No comments: