blog_banner 20

Friday, August 31, 2012

A Legend in music.

Programs.

I have the day off from work today, so I thought I'd use the time to post a couple of more updates.


Lauren is sitting next to me playing Minecraft on the iMac, while I've resorted to using a laptop. I had almost forgotten about this, but it's certainly worth mentioning. At the end of July, Lauren and I visited Heinz Hall to see the Pittsburgh Symphony perform The Legend of Zelda:  The Symphony of the Goddesses. At this point in the year, Lauren had been to Heinz Hall three times. I also hope to get her to the Benedum Center to see a show before the end of the year.

The symphony was composed of music from the various Legend of Zelda video games, which recently celebrated its 25th anniversary. In that span of 25 years, I've played just about every incarnation. One version in particular, The Legend of Zelda:  Ocarina of Time, is considered by many of the major gaming sites as the greatest video game of all time. It was so good in fact, that they redesigned the graphics and re-released it for Nintendo 3DS.

LoZ holds a special meaning for Lauren and myself. It's affectionately known in our house as the "puzzle game", as that's what Lauren began to call it when she was about three or four years old. This is because not only do you have to fight monsters in order to rescue Princess Zelda, you also have to solve many puzzles along the way. When Lauren was just a toddler, I can remember her waking from her nap while I would be in the middle of playing TLoZ:  The Wind Waker. I would retrieve her from bed, and sit her on my lap in front of the television. Then, she became enraptured with watching the game. Now, she can play the games independantly, and I honestly have to say that in a lot of ways, she's better than me (Although she still makes me fight the big monsters for her).

The Legend of Zelda: The Symphony of the Goddesses.

The music from the games is magical. The composer even maintained some of the themes from the original game in every version released to date, all the while adding more and more complex musical elements as time went on. To hear the music played by a full orchestra was amazing. While the orchestra played, they showed clips from the games on a large screen hanging above, which really enhanced the experience.

So here's to you Link, and 25 more years of adventures in Hyrule.

No comments: