blog_banner 20

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Wholesome goodness.

Is it fall already?

Can you tell that Lauren got a haircut? One of these days, I'm going to take her to a certified hair stylist at a salon, but for now, she's stuck at Chez Mommie. You should see me in action - I show no hesitancy and really chop it off.

Speaking of haircuts, this morning I went for my quarterly hair appointment. The hairstylist working on the client sitting next to me was describing a recent trip that she had taken. I didn't catch where she went, but she mentioned that she visited an 80's themed bar while she was there. She then said how much she loved the 80's and wished that she had been a teenager during that decade (She was born in 1980.). The client then told her about how the school that her daughter attends recently had an 80's day and described the spandex / blazer combination that her daughter wore for the occasion.

I was a teenager in during the 80's, so all I can say is this: Who'd of thought that getting old would happen to such a nice gal like me?

A couple of weeks ago, I convinced Mark to go grocery shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. I had never been to Trader Joe's before, and I absolutely loved it! Everyone that I've talked to has commented about how small the store is, but that's what I liked about it. Plus, I'm so sick of buying the same old products from our local grocery store. Lauren likes to go there too, because they give a her a balloon.

Trader Joes / Whole Foods haul.

We went back again tonight, but this photo represents some of the haul from our first trip.

Polenta:
I've been dying to try polenta, but couldn't find it at my local grocery store. I only just recently learned that it's an used in Italian dishes.

Smooze: Smooze is like italian ice, but it's made of pure juice. This flavor is coconut milk and passion fruit. It's very good. Lauren liked it too.

3 Cheese Pizza: We ate this last night for dinner. It's a little on the small side, but oh so tasty. I bought two more tonight!

Blue chips: I had these when I flew on Jet Blue to Boston last year and have been looking for them since. They are much better for you than regular potato chips and have an extreme crunch to them.

Banana waffles:
Let's just say that all those preservatives and artificial flavors do a lot for frozen waffles. These tasted fairly plain. Mark was less forgiving and said that they were like eating cardboard.

Late July Dark Chocolate Sandwich Cookies: This is another product that I've been anxious to try. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to do so, as we're working to finish another brand of Oreo style organic cookies.

Although not pictured, we also purchased a case of Honest Tea. Finally someone decided to produce an iced tea without all that sweetner and corn syrup! It actually tasted like home brewed tea. We were really disappointed when we stopped a Whole Foods to get more and found they were sold out. I completely understand why.

Also not pictured is a pineapple upside down cake purchased at Whole Foods. I love pineapple upside down cake, and this one was almost as good as the one that I make. Mark and I chuckled at the ingredient list that was, oh, about a line and a half long. Buy a similar cake at our local grocery and you have to read a whole paragraph of many syllable words. Why do we put so much unnecessary crap in our foods? And how and when did this become the standard?

No comments: