blog_banner 20

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance Day.

WW II Memorial:  Pennsylvania

On the way to work this morning, I was lamenting to myself about how little content I have for the blog at the moment. Now that we've changed the clocks back to Standard Time, it's pitch black when I arrive home in the evening. Not very conducive to photo taking.

But I remembered that today is Veteran's Day. Then I remembered that I had saved some photos that I had taken of the World War II Memorial just for the occasion. How's that for saving for a rainy day?

WW II Memorial.

During our short visit to Washington D.C. this summer, I was particularly impressed by the World War II Memorial. While it doesn't have the emotional impact of the seemingly endless names of the Vietnam Memorial, it's design really gives you a sense of the scale of the conflict.

WW II Memorial: Medallion.

My Pap Pap fought in World War II. He was sent overseas to Naples, Italy. There, he lost most of his hearing in one ear when a granade detonated nearby. Pap pap used to his war injury as an excuse to get out of jury duty. Yes, I come from a long line of jury duty dodgers. But unlike the rest of us slackers, Pap pap deserved at least that much for his sacrifice.

So be like an elephant - and always remember the sacrifices made by our military.

Happy Veteran's Day.

No comments: