blog_banner 20

Saturday, January 11, 2014

2014 Sketch Journal - Week 1

2014 Sketch Journal - Week 1

Here's my very first attempt at sketchbook journaling. Since I'm new to this, I've been heavily inspired by the style of Jenny Firth of Jenny's Sketchbook. She is so amazingly talented. I could just burst with happiness everytime I look at her artwork. I can only dream that my art could have that same effect on someone.

Anyway, hopefully once I get the hang of things I can develop my own style. I have to admit that several time during my first and second attempts at this, I wanted to chuck it altogether. I wasn't completely satisfied with how these pages turned out, but part of the point of this is to get over my perfectionist tendencies and just do it, because if there's one thing that photography has taught me is that you have to actually do in order to get better. Part of the problem was I didn't plan out my layout. I plan my photographs, so I have to learn to apply that to sketching. I do like how the confetti running up the side of the page turned out.

A couple of notes about supplies - I chose a 5.5 x 8 inch Strathmore Visual Journal in mixed media / vellum finish. The size is perfect, but I'm not wild about the spiral. It's not enough pages to last the whole year, so once I finish it, I'll decide if I want to switch to another type. Also, I picked up a 24 set of Koh-I-Noor Mondeluz Aquarelles Watercolor Pencils which I just *love.* I'm still figuring out how to use them, but I already wish I bought the complete set of 72.


No comments: