blog_banner 20

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Trying new things.



I didn't mean to let a week go by without an update, but our desktop computer in the den, where I do all my blog work, wouldn't connect to the internet. Mark pointed out to me last night that the connection wasn't plugged in. Oops.

First, I want to announce a new widget in the sidebar on right. Twittering is sweeping the world right now (Hey, even Barack Obama is doing it!), so I thought it would be fun for us to try it. This means I can add little updates when ever I feel like it without the pressure of a full blog entry. I can update by cellphone too, in order to make important announcements such as "Mark just put on the turn signal! It's making a clicky noise!" and "I'm eating a donut!" Should be fun.

Mark has been kicking around the idea of us going camping. We were discussing the subject a few evenings ago and like any normal person I immediately thought, "My Star Wars sleeping bag! It's in the basement getting moldy! I must rescue it!"

After a few washings, Lauren has now inherited it, but I haven't shared with her the stigma that it carries. My parents gave this sleeping bag to me as a Christmas present when I was five. Not only did I not have any interest in Star Wars, but I didn't even know what Star Wars was. In fact, I don't think my parents knew what Star Wars was. To this day, I still don't know what compelled them to make this purchase.

As I became older, I was inevitably invited to slumber parties and sleep overs. There I was, with my Star Wars sleeping bag, surrounded by girls snugly tucked into ones with more gender appropriate themes such Strawberry Shortcake and Cabbage Patch Kids. Oh, the humiliation! But I did have one friend named Sharon that was obsessed with Star Wars. When I went to her house she always wanted to "play" Star Wars because she had a crush on Han Solo. At the time, I didn't appreciate the finer points of Harrison Ford and instead preferred Mike Nesmith of The Monkees. I'm happy to report that my tastes in men have became more refined since then, and if I was invited to someone's house for a play date today, I would happily play any game involving Sean Bean, Josh Hollaway or Hugh Jackman (I bet from where ever you're reading this you can hear the sounds of Mark's eyes rolling).

That Chewbacca's pretty funny!

So the sleeping bag is enjoying new life stationed in the middle of our living room floor as a place for Lauren to cozily enjoy her shows.

Working on the roof. Again.

Mark's new project is installing a new roof on our garage. This will be the second roof that he has replaced himself, as he also did this at our last house. Yesterday, he asked me to pick out shingles. I told him that he was out of luck because I only know how to pick out shoes and purses. He's been at it all day yesterday and today, and probably will be at it again tomorrow.

New hobby!

I've also been busy learning something new - embroidery! This is something that I never thought I could do, but it's actually pretty easy and fun. I especially like that I can sit and stitch while spending time with Mark and Lauren. I can't easily do that with scrapbooking because I need access all my supplies which are located in the den. Right now, I'm working on a practice project from Jenny Hart's Stitch It Kit, but I already have visions of embroidered tea towels and hankies for all this Christmas!

No comments: