blog_banner 20

Friday, April 11, 2008

Just crackers.

Late July crackers.

MC Hammer has a blog. He updates more than I do.

My new obsession is these crackers. They taste just like Ritz, only better for you. And the packaging is to die for (Just look at that font!). Late July also makes cookies - I've got to get my hands on them!

But first we have to get something out of the way. You know you've been waiting for it...

***Begin American Idol mutterings***

I don't consider myself an overly sentimental person. I don't usually cry at movies or sad stories, but there are few songs that never fail to make me tear up:

"Into the West," by Annie Lennox from The Return of the King soundtrack. I'd like this to be played at my funeral. That and "Rock the Casbah." /joke

"We've Only Just Begun," by The Carpenters. They should have Carpenters night on AI!

"There's Always Tomorrow," sung by Clarisse The Reindeer, in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Yes, I am a freak.

and

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow"

So here I am on Tuesday night, choking back the tears and cursing myself a fool as Jason Castro sits there playing his little ukelele. Gosh darn it, I've become the people I make fun of! Thank goodness Mark wasn't around to see it.

Then he finished performing, and once again Lauren had to tell me that I was being too loud. I don't know what makes me more foolish - the crying or the cheering.

I guess that's the last time I try to prognosticate the results of this crazy show. Michael Johns had the breakout performance during Dolly Parton week, and just like that, he's gone (I will sorely miss Mark referring to him as Jack Tripper. Oh, and the ascots - mustn't forget Michael's ascots!). Randy Jackson slams Jason on Larry King Live one night and calls him "Molten hot!" the next. Now his performance of SOTR is at the top of the iTunes charts, beating both David Cook's "Billy Jean" and David Archleta's "Imagine." Shenanigans or no, you can't deny that there are serious mind games afoot. At least I was right about the fact that singing first is a curse and that Syesha was going to survive the week.

And like him or no, you have to give credit to a guy that busts out a ukelele on the highest rated show in America, risking the inevitable comparison to Tiny Tim, and brings the house down. Jason Casto doesn't care that you think he's dreadlocks are skanky. He doesn't care that you think the faces that he makes while he sings are stupid. He just does his thing and enjoys himself. And that's why he has "it" (That pretty voice doesn't hurt either!).

After the this week, I think I will be at peace when it's Jason's week to go. He's no longer the guy who sang "Hallelujah" and then failed to live up to expectations. His work is done here.

***End American Idol mutterings***

No comments: