blog_banner 20

Thursday, June 19, 2008

A pretty good day.

Big fish.

Usually the week days are so similar that one blends into the next, but there were a few little things that made today standout from the rest. I spent my lunch hour outdoors watching and enjoyed a free jazz concert. I was chosen to be someone's mentor at work. Mark acquired some new plants. I taught Lauren how to make salads for dinner, then later we made brownies together using my Pyrex bowl pictured a few entries back.

You may be wondering what's up with the Father's Day fish in the last entry. One of Mark's Father's Day gifts was a very big pond net. Instead of a card, I cut out a fish for Lauren to decorate and then placed in the net. So far, I think Lauren is enjoying the net more than Mark.

Homemade manicotti.

Last week, while we were watching QED Cooks!, Mark lamented that no one has ever made him homemade manicotti. Since the weather was cool this weekend, I thought I'd give it a try.

You see those shells? I made those from scratch. This was a shining moment for me, as I really didn't think that I was capable of such an achievement. The green stuff is spinach, since we like our vegetables around here. Unfortunately, I committed blasphemy by using sauce from a jar, but I didn't have the ingredients on hand to make homemade. Next time, I'll make my own. It's about time that I learned how to make the Sunday sauce. Given my age, my ancestors would probably think me the equivalent of an old spinster because I don't know how to make my own Sunday sauce.

Animated Daisy.

Lastly, for the first time in a long while, this past weekend we watched Dexter's Laboratory. There is this one episode where Dexter finds a stray dog and does an experiment on him in order to get him to talk. Of course, once he knows how to talk, the dog says typical dog things in a very excited fashion. When he begs for food he says over and over again "Foodforme? Foodforme?" (Kind of like the Beggin' Strips dog that says "Bacon, Bacon, Bacon!"). Mark and I always said that if Daisy could talk that is exactly what she would say. However, it wasn't until this weekend when we saw the episode for the first time since we'd adopted Daisy that we realized that Dexter's dog looks exactly like Daisy in animated form!

No comments: