blog_banner 20

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Make it. Bake it.

Ready for the oven.

Wow - this week really got away from me. It went so fast, yet I feel like I've accomplished nothing.

Anyway, when we went to the craft store to pick up some felt for an Easter project, I spotted a display of stained glass kits for kids. Of all the crafts that have made a comeback over the last decade, two of my favorites really haven't made that "kitch to cool" transition:  latch hook and stained glass kits. I've mentioned before that I still love to do latch hooking, but I had completely forgotten about the stained glass kits. They were a big deal when I was growing up, and we made numerous ones that were then proudly displayed in the window pains of our front door. They were called "Makit Bakit." I remember we had a parrot, mushroom and a horse.

Making stained glass unicorn.

As soon as I saw it, I knew Lauren would want to make one. She handled the little glass pieces like a champ, and even used the tweezers to grab rogue pieces. Way to use those fine motor skills! Before you know it, she'll be performing open heart surgery. Hopefully she will remember to wash her hands first because I won't be in the operating room to remind her.

Stained glass unicorn.

Here's the finished product. Mr. Unicorn sure looks lonely hanging in his window by himself. I think we're going to have to make him some friends...

No comments: